Saturday, April 01, 2006

New reviews in the New Review...

Three reviews in the latest update to Laura Hird's website:

Moondust by Cleveland W. Gibson

Before I began properly to read Cleve Gibson’s story collection, Moondust, I glanced at the book’s first sentences: ‘“Incurably insane, me? Never, Doctor Leo Harper! I was clever enough to kill my best friend and get away with it.”’ A fine example of an arresting opening, I thought; if the rest of the book lived up to that standard, I was in for a treat.

Alas – and it’s no fun having to write this – I was sorely disappointed..

Pieces for the Left Hand by J. Robert Lennon

When I was younger, I enjoyed dipping into books of ‘strange but true’ stories. It never crossed my mind at the time to question whether the stories actually were true, but it didn’t really matter; what was important was a reminder that remarkable things do happen – those moments when life takes an unexpected twist that makes you laugh, or cry, or rage, or wonder. J. Robert Lennon’s Pieces for the Left Hand is almost a literary version of one of those books: a collection of one hundred very short stories (three pages long at most) that read as though they are told by a friend of a friend...

Mean Mode Median by Aliya Whiteley

This is the story of Edward and Anna St Clare, two siblings who have the ability to influence others with their words (whether through preternatural charisma or psychic powers is unclear). Edward works for his father James’s insurance firm; but not for long, because he keeps persuading customers they don’t really need insurance. John Dart also works for James, and lusts after Anna, a researcher for a TV quiz show. Anna learns from Edward that her father has been using her to secure John’s loyalty, so James can pass on the business to him. Angry, she decides to take revenge on them all – but, meticulous planner though she is, even Anna can’t predict the consequences…

Further links:
J. Robert Lennon
Aliya Whiteley
LBF Books
Hadrosaur
Granta
bluechrome

No comments: